Garlic takes on a mild and somewhat sweet flavor when roasted, and in this dish you roast the garlic and the butternut squash at the same time. It's a good way to use squashes that come into season in the fall.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 whole head garlic, separated into cloves and peeled (cut large cloves in half)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 14 -16 ounces spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 slices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup pecorino cheese
- sliced green onion
- 1Heat oven to 425 degrees F. and start heating water in a large pot for cooking the spaghetti.
- 2In a 15x10x1 inch baking pan (jelly roll size) toss together squash, peeled garlic cloves, oil and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and black pepper. Evenly spread squash in pan. Bake 15-18 minutes or until squash is tender and lightly browned.
- 3Meanwhile, cook spaghetti, with1 tablespoon salt added to the water, according to package directions. Drain; keep warm.
- 4In a small saucepan heat butter over medium heat until it turn the color of light brown sugar, stirring frequently.
- 5In a serving bowl toss spaghetti with about half of the browned butter. Toss squash, garlic, bacon, nuts and nutmeg with the remaining browned butter. Serve squash mixture over spaghetti. Sprinkle with cheese and green onions.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spaghetti With Roasted Butternut Squash
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 574.2
- Calories from Fat 244
- Total Fat 27.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 28.0 mg
- Sodium 1420.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 13.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: