Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Garlic takes on a mild and somewhat sweet flavor when roasted, and in this dish you roast the garlic and the butternut squash at the same time. It's a good way to use squashes that come into season in the fall.
- 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 whole head garlic, separated into cloves and peeled (cut large cloves in half)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 14 -16 ounces spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 slices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup pecorino cheese
- sliced green onion
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. and start heating water in a large pot for cooking the spaghetti.
- In a 15x10x1 inch baking pan (jelly roll size) toss together squash, peeled garlic cloves, oil and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and black pepper. Evenly spread squash in pan. Bake 15-18 minutes or until squash is tender and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti, with1 tablespoon salt added to the water, according to package directions. Drain; keep warm.
- In a small saucepan heat butter over medium heat until it turn the color of light brown sugar, stirring frequently.
- In a serving bowl toss spaghetti with about half of the browned butter. Toss squash, garlic, bacon, nuts and nutmeg with the remaining browned butter. Serve squash mixture over spaghetti. Sprinkle with cheese and green onions.
The husband rated this one. :)
This is simply delicious! I love roasted butternut squash and this recipe showcases it beautifully. The flavors all go together so well. Roasting the garlic is a must. My DH kept interrupting the dinner conversation to tell me how much he loved this. Delicious and quick to make. A new favorite in my house.