Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from Vegan Italiano. "Though this scrumptious marinara sauce cooks up in less than thirty minutes, the fragrant smells of red wine and rosemary will perfume your home for hours."
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, juices included
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces spaghetti, cooked until al dente and drained
- In a large deep-sided nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, tomato paste, wine, sugar, basil, rosemary, salt, red pepper flakes (if using), and black pepper; bring to a brisk simmer over medium high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until reduced and thickened, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up the tomatoes with a large wooden spoon. Serve hot over spaghetti.
This was awesome. I made it according to the recipe with just an extra clove of garlic and it was great. It's a keeper.