Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
From http://lifestyle.msn.com this delicious pasta is made with homemade pesto tossed with spaghetti, then topped with a delicious tomato, onion and basil salad. This is a great as a meatless main dish or as a side dish.
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Cherry Tomato Salad
- 1 1⁄2 pints cherry tomatoes (about 3 1/2 cups) or 1 1⁄2 pints yellow cherry tomatoes, each cut in half (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil leaf, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package thin spaghetti
- basil, for garnish
- Prepare Basil Pesto:
- In food processor with knife blade attached, blend basil, garlic, pine nuts, salt, and pepper until pureed.
- With processor running, gradually pour in olive oil until blended.
- Add Parmesan, pulsing to combine.
- Transfer pesto to small bowl.
- Place plastic wrap directly on pesto surface to prevent browning; set aside.
- Prepare Cherry Tomato Salad:
- In medium bowl, mix tomatoes, onion, basil strips, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat large saucepot of salted water to boiling over high heat.
- Add spaghetti and cook as label directs.
- When spaghetti has cooked to desired doneness, remove 1/4 cup pasta cooking water and reserve.
- Drain spaghetti and return to saucepot.
- Add pesto and reserved cooking water; toss well to distribute vegetables.
- To serve, spoon spaghetti mixture into 4 serving bowls; top with tomato salad.
- Garnish with basil sprigs.