Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
mmmmmmmmmmm . . .
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb thickly sliced pancetta, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 small red onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup drained sun-dried tomato packed in oil, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons garlic, very finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup basil, shredded
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb spaghetti
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add pancetta and cook over medium heat until softened but not browned, (about 3 minutes).
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a plate.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the skillet.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat until shimmering.
- Add the onions and cook over medium-high heat until just beginning to brown (about 5 minutes).
- Add the pancetta and sun-dried tomatoes and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes longer.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a pot of boiling salted water, cook the spaghetti until al dente.
- Drain the spaghetti, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Add the spaghetti to the skillet along with 1/4 cup of the cooking water and toss over medium heat until combined.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve, passing the Parmesan at the table.
Do NOT cook pancetta and sundried tomatoes for 5 min if you have a gas stove. 3 minutes was plenty. This was just okay, probably wouldn't make it again. It is very easy, though. Hope you like it more than we did.
This was delicious! Thanks for such a simple yet flavor-packed dish!
This was the best pasta dish I have made in a while! Its got everything I like and its a cinch to throw together. I did halve the recipe as there is only two of us, but I won't make that same mistake again. The flavors compliment each other nicely and went well with a pino grigio I had. Thanks Karen!