Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
The olives and walnuts make this bolognese special. A variation of a classic Italian dish.
- 150 g walnuts (5 1/4 ounces)
- 1 onion
- 80 g green olives, without stones (3 ounces)
- 2 carrots
- 300 g minced beef (10 5/8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 sprigs sage
- 250 ml red wine (1 cup)
- 200 ml beef stock
- 50 g grated parmesan cheese (1 3/4 ounces)
- 500 g spaghetti (18 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 200°C/390°F
- Put walnuts in a tin and toast in the preheated oven for 4-5 minutes until skin can easily be removed.
- Rub the nuts in a clean kitchen towel until most of the skin is removed.
- Chop the nuts roughly.
- Keep 1 or 2 tbsp of the nuts for garnish.
- Peel the onion and finely chop it.
- Slice the olives.
- Peel the carrots and finely cube them.
- Heat a skillet.
- When hot, add the minced beef and fry it for 3-4 minutes.
- Add nuts, onion, olives, carrots, tomato paste and one sage sprig (leave it as it is).
- Fry for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add red wine and stock and cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir from time to time and check if you need to add more liquid.
- The finished product should be a thick sauce.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Remove the sage sprig.
- Mix reserved nuts with Parmesan.
- Finely chop the leaves of the remaining sage sprig and add it to the nut and Parmesan mixture.
- Cook the spaghetti in lots of salted water for 8 to 10 minutes or until they are cooked.
- Drain them well.
- Add spaghetti to the sauce and mix well.
- Serve immediately in individual plates and sprinkle with the nut-Parmesan-sage topping. Enjoy!