Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is one of our favorites! You may want to add some red pepper flakes to the sauce if you like things spicy. Originally from a May 1979 issue of Bon Apetit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil or 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram
- 1 1/2 cups diced canned tomatoes, well drained
- 1 1/2 lbs mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see note)
- 1 lb sea scallops, halved
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb spaghetti, cooked al dente
- 1Heat oil in 4 or 5-quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
- 2Add onion and saute until golden;add garlic and saute an additional 30 seconds.
- 3Stir in wine,basil and marjoram and cook 1 minute.
- 4Add tomatoes, increase heat and boil 5 minutes.
- 5Reduce heat to medium,add mussels, cover and cook until shells open, about 5 minutes.
- 6Add scallops and shrimp.
- 7Cover and cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes, until scallops and shrimp are barely firm.
- 8Season to taste with salt and pepper, add spaghetti and toss gently to mix.
- 9Serve immediately, with freshly grated parmesan, if desired.
- 10Note-to rid mussels of their sand and to plump them, scrub thoroughly and place in deep bowl.Cover with cold water and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cornmeal. Cover and refrigerate overnight.Rinse and drain well just before cooking.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spaghetti With Mussels, Scallops and Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (444 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 926.6
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 258.0 mg
- Sodium 962.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 103.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 78.5 g