Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
So I only had tomato paste and canned tomatoes... no tomato sauce. I was way too lazy to run to the grocery store and decided to improvise by using cream of mushroom soup. I was surprised it turned out as well as it did.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- cooked pasta, of your choice
- Brown the ground beef, onion and garlic in olive oil with bay leaves, oregano, basil, Italian Seasoning, salt.
- Add tomato paste, mushroom soup, sugar, and diced tomatoes.
- Stir well and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Use sauce to top your cooked spaghetti.
I'd love to make this sauce,sounds very creamy and would taste bit like a stroganoff??just a question does it have bay leaves in it and how many??Also can I leave it out if it does??Thanks in advance Suzie :)
I gave this 4 stars. My future hubby and I loved this sauce. I couldn't find the amount of olive oil or bay leaves listed in the ingredients, so I used 1 tbl canola as I never have olive oil on hand and I used 2 bay leaves. When I made this sauce I used 2 pounds ground beef as I had 2 pounds that needed to be used up. Otherwise I followed the recipe. The next time I make this I plan to drain the ground beef after cooking as the sauce had alot of pooling of grease. Overall I'll make this again for sure. Thanks for posting a great recipe! Christine (internetnut)