Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found on the army's web site and posted in reply to a request. WWW.quartermaster.army.mil. Times are a "best guess" Serving size: 1 cup (8 1/2 oz)sauce and 1 cup (5 1/2 oz) spaghetti
- 7257.47 g 90% lean ground beef
- 11566.60 g canned tomatoes, diced
- 5270.74 g tomato paste
- 2721.55 g water
- 1814.36 g onions, dry peeled, chopped (4 3/8 lb before peeling)
- 198.44 g granulated sugar
- 95.82 g salt
- 45.92 g garlic powder
- 14.17 g sweet basil, crushed
- 14.17 g ground thyme
- 9.35 g oregano, crushed
- 7.08 g black pepper
- 8 whole bay leaves
- 36287.38 g water, boiling
- 5443.10 g spaghetti
- 70.87 g salt
- Cook beef in steam-jacketed kettle or stock pot until beef loses its pink color (CCP: 155F or higher), stirring to break apart.
- Drain or skim off excess fat.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, water, onions, sugar, salt, garlic powder, basil, thyme, oregano, pepper and bay leaves to beef.
- Mix well.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat; cover; cook at low heat about 1 hour, stirring frequently.
- CCP: Temperature must reach 140°F or higher.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- CCP: Hold for service at 140°F or higher.
- Add salt to boiling water.
- Slowly add spaghetti while stirring constantly until water boils again.
- Cook 14 to 18 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Do not overcook.
- Drain thoroughly.
- NOTES: In step 2, 8 oz (2 2/3 cups) dehydrated onions may be used.
- In step 2, 15 tbsp (45 cloves) dry minced garlic may be used.