Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found on the army's web site and posted in reply to a request. WWW.quartermaster.army.mil. Times are a "best guess" Serving size: 1 cup (8 1/2 oz)sauce and 1 cup (5 1/2 oz) spaghetti
- 16 lbs 90% lean ground beef
- 25 1⁄2 lbs canned tomatoes, diced
- 11 5⁄8 lbs tomato paste
- 6 lbs water
- 4 lbs onions, dry peeled, chopped (4 3/8 lb before peeling)
- 7 ounces granulated sugar
- 3 3⁄8 ounces salt
- 1 5⁄8 ounces garlic powder
- 1⁄2 ounce sweet basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 ounce ground thyme
- 1⁄3 ounce oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 ounce black pepper
- 8 whole bay leaves
- 80 lbs water, boiling
- 12 lbs spaghetti
- 2 1⁄2 ounces salt
- Cook beef in steam-jacketed kettle or stock pot until beef loses its pink color (CCP: 155F or higher), stirring to break apart.
- Drain or skim off excess fat.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, water, onions, sugar, salt, garlic powder, basil, thyme, oregano, pepper and bay leaves to beef.
- Mix well.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat; cover; cook at low heat about 1 hour, stirring frequently.
- CCP: Temperature must reach 140°F or higher.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- CCP: Hold for service at 140°F or higher.
- Add salt to boiling water.
- Slowly add spaghetti while stirring constantly until water boils again.
- Cook 14 to 18 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Do not overcook.
- Drain thoroughly.
- NOTES: In step 2, 8 oz (2 2/3 cups) dehydrated onions may be used.
- In step 2, 15 tbsp (45 cloves) dry minced garlic may be used.