Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This recipe has seen many changes over the years. It takes awhile to prepare but the smell that fills the house and the great flavor makes it well worth the time. This sauce freezes well so you can use half and freeze the rest for latter.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew meat
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 (48 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can water (use empty soup can)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 onion, cut up
- In a large pot brown meat (If you only brown one side of meat it will retain it's size and absorb more flavour from the sauce).
- Add all other ingredients.
- Heat to a near boil.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 6-8 hours until sauce thickens.
- Serve with spaghetti noodles and cheese of your choice.
Made this overnight in the crockpot. The smell was fantabulous! Made to store cartons in the freezer for quick warm weather meals coming up soon. Followed tip in #1 and I did sample a bit and truly loved the spicy flavor. Thanks for sharing Mike. Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2011.