Recipe by bluemoon downunder
A versatile vegetarian bolognaise and a great way to get some nutritious lentils into your diet! Adapted from a recipe I found online. I love the vegetables that were in the original recipe but you could vary them depending on what's in season, what's reasonably priced and, of course, to meet your taste preferences. I just had to add a leek as I love the subtle blend of flavours from onion, garlic and leek cooked together. And when I made this I used probably double the 15 mushrooms included in the original recipe! :) Vary the herbs to meet the whim of the moment!
Top Review by Sharon123
This turned out great! I accidently burnt my lentils, so ended up using a can of lentil soup, but this turned out so good! I will make again! I used whole wheat pasta. Made for PRMR.
- cooking spray (my preference is alwyas olive oil) or 1 tablespoon oil (my preference is alwyas olive oil)
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 -4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (both the inside white section and the inside tender green section)
- 1 (400 g) can lentils, drained (approximately 13 ounces)
- 15 button mushrooms, sliced (or as many as you fancy!)
- 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 (400 g) can crushed tomatoes (approximately 13 ounces)
- 3 cups sliced zucchini
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 300 g angel hair pasta (approximately 91/2 ounces)
- parmesan cheese, freshly shaved, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a non-stick pan with oil, or add the tablespoon of oil to the pan and heat; add the onion and sauté until it has begun to soften soften; add the garlic, leek, lentils, mushrooms marjoram and thyme and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomatoes and zucchini, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste, and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the angel hair spaghetti in a large pot of boiling water for 8-10 minutes; drain and serve on plates, top with the pasta sauce and shavings of the parmesan cheese.