Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Can be served as a main dish or simple side dish. See variations.
- 12 ounces spaghetti or 12 ounces spaghettini or 12 ounces vermicelli
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Cook pasta in plenty of boiling salted water until al dente, 7-10 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over low heat, stirring until creamy.
- Stir in lemon zest and juice.
- Toss lemon sauce with hot pasta; serve.
- *Spaghetti with Lemon Butter and Tuna: add 1 (6 oz.) can chunk light tuna, well drained, and 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley to the lemon sauce; heat gently 1 minute before tossing with hot pasta.
- *Spaghetti with Lemon Butter and Peas: add 1 cup frozen peas to the butter; heat, stirring, over low heat until peas are tender, about 3 minutes; add the zest and lemon juice; toss with hot pasta.
- *Spaghetti with Lemon Butter and Shredded Zucchini: shred 2 small zucchini (about 6 ounces); add to butter; heat, stirring, until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes; add the lemon zest and juice; toss with the hot pasta.