1/2 Photos of Spaghetti With Italian Tuna & Capers
Kozmic Blues's Note:
My girlfriend's father gave us some cans of this wonderful, imported Italian tuna. This recipe is my attempt at re-creating HIS recipe for pasta with tuna and red sauce. Lauren's dad would often make this for me when I came to dinner because it had contained no meat. The Italian tuna packed in oil gives this sauce a wonderully "meaty" flavor that I absolutely love. My granny's mother would also make a dish similar to this on on the Fridays of Lent when they could not have meat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 anchovy fillet, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna in olive oil, imported Italian
- 1 lb spaghetti
- chopped fresh parsley or basil (to garnish)
- 1In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- 2Add chopped onion and anchovy fillet, and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add crushed red pepper and garlic and saute for another minute.
- 4Add tomato sauce and reduce heat to low.
- 5Next, add capers and the cans of tuna.
- 6I like to drain the oil from one of the cans and leave the oil from the second.
- 7Break up the large pieces of tuna with a fork or wooden spoon.
- 8Cook pasta in boiling salted water for about 7 minutes or until al dente.
- 9Drain, and toss with tuna red sauce in a serving bowl.
- 10Sprinkle with basil or parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spaghetti With Italian Tuna & Capers
Serving Size: 1 (525 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 847.2
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 55.1 mg
- Sodium 1328.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 64.0 g