Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Spaghetti con Zucchinne Fritte Recipe courtesy Mario Batali Show: Molto Mario Episode: The Spanish Influence Recipe Summary Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Yield: 4 servings
- 2 whole zucchini
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 lb dried spaghetti
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons salted ricotta cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup grated pecorino cheese
- 1 pinch red chili pepper flakes, chopped or 1 pinch fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- Wash and dry the zucchini and trim the ends. Slice zucchini into thin disks about 1/4-inch thick. Set the zucchini slices aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil, add a layer of zucchini and cook or "poach" like chips. Remove zucchini and drain. Repeat with remaining zucchini.
- Place zucchini into a serving bowl.
- Add the garlic and scallions to the saucepan and cook until they are soft and golden brown. Add the red wine vinegar and let cook until the vinegar evaporates, about 2 minutes.
- Toss into the bowl with the zucchini.
- Fill a heavy-bottomed saucepan with 6 quarts water and bring to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons salt, stirring to dissolve. Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions, until tender but still al dente. Drain the pasta.
- Toss the pasta with the zucchini, and add salt and pepper, to taste. Add the ricotta and the Pecorino.
- Serve immediately garnished with red chili flakes and chopped parsley.