Perfect spaghetti works great with a perfect sauce. This easy, delicious and full of nutrition sauce, is a good example of a fast and tasty dish. I created this recipe ages ago and since then, I'm making it every week. It also works great with rice and bread.
- 300 g spaghetti
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk (optional)
- 5 drops lemon juice (only if using coconut milk)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is warm, add the onions and cook until soft. About 4-5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add a dash of salt and bell pepper and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to low-medium and add black pepper and another dash of salt, stir, cover and let it cook.
- Meanwhile put the TVP in a bowl and add enough boiling water to cover. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes. It should be soft. Strain and put a heavy saucepan over the TVP and drain as much water as you can, chop finely, then add the TVP along with spices and stir. You also can use Textured soy protein, but you don't need to chop them. Add the tomato paste and stir again. Let it cook for a minute or two. Taste, then add the coconut milk and lemon juice (if using), stir and remove from heat.
- For the spaghetti, add the water in a saucepan over high heat. Add 1/2 tsp salt and 2-3 drops of oil and let it come to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook on high heat for 7-8 minutes.
- Serve some of the spaghetti with 1 to 2 spoons of the sauce and garnish with a spring of mint or basil.