Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This scrumptious pasta is DH's creation and star dish. Thank you to Starrynews for putting this in her best of 2009 cookbook!
- 10 ounces spaghetti or 10 ounces linguine
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided use
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces mixed mushrooms, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams, including juice from 1 can
- 1⁄16 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh Italian parsley, coarsely chopped (or less, if you prefer)
- Start water to boil for pasta.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat in a small or medium saucepan.
- Add garlic and saute until softened, a few minutes. Add mushrooms (if using), clams, and juice from one of the cans of clams. Turn heat to high.
- Add red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, oregano, wine, and lemon juice. Let simmer on high until at least three fourths of liquid has evaporated, about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta until it is al dente.
- Drain pasta. Add pasta back to empty pot (off heat) and coat with 1/2 tablespoon of oil.
- Take sauce off heat. Add black pepper to taste, and parsley.
- Immediately add half of the sauce to the pasta and toss.
- Plate pasta, top with other half of sauce, and serve.
Great meal. I served with Basil Pesto bread and it was wonderful. Would be great for Christmas Eve.
WONDERFUL! I made this with a head of fresh picked garlic, extra cremini mushrooms, the juice from both cans of clams, vermouth, and added coarse salt. I thought I would want butter or cream in the sauce but it was FLAVOR FABULOUS as is. I also used a high fiber whole grain thin spaghetti. I think this is the best clam sauce I have ever tasted including from restaurants. Made for the ZWT4.
Really good clam sauce recipe! I did use linguini instead of spaghetti and I also subbed in some fresh steamer clams for one of the cans of clams plus I also added a 10 oz can of baby clams. Really, can you have too many clams in clam sauce?? LOL. I used the red pepper flakes which I thought was a great touch. Thanks!! Made for the Babes of ZWT4.