Prep 15 mins
Cook 33 mins
Quick, really easy, and very tasty all-purpose sauce for pasta and lasgna; a great way to get kids to eat their veggies. Ground turkey or beef with carrots, green beans, mushrooms, onions and tomatoes.
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced (any variety)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 carrot, peeled, halved lengthwise & sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 113.39 g Italian sausage or 113.39 g turkey sausage, casings removed & crumbled
- 283.49 g lean ground beef or 283.49 g lean ground turkey
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 9.85 ml spaghetti sauce seasoning (Lawry's Original or Lawry's Extra Rich & Thick)
- 283.49 g spaghetti or 283.49 g penne or 283.49 g wagon-wheel pasta
- 236.59 ml frozen Italian cut green beans, thawed & drained
- 113.39 g mushrooms
- 29.58 ml parmesan cheese, grated (to garnish)
- In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium low heat for 1 minute.
- Add onions, garlic, and carrots, and saute, stirring frequently for 5 minutes (until carrots are tender and garlic and onion are just beginning to brown).
- Push vegetables to one side of pan and add meat.
- Raise heat to medium high and saute, stirring constantly, until browned on all sides (about 5 minutes); drain off excess fat.
- Add tomato puree and spaghetti seasoning, mix well, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Add beans and mushrooms to sauce, cover, and cook for another 5-7 minutes over low heat (until vegetables are tender).
- Serve pasta topped with sauce and Parmesan cheese.
This was very good and I enjoyed the added flavor of the Italian sausage. I did find it a bit too meaty and added a can of tomato sauce. Thanks for a tasty meal.