Recipe by littleturtle
Quick, really easy, and very tasty all-purpose sauce for pasta and lasgna; a great way to get kids to eat their veggies. Ground turkey or beef with carrots, green beans, mushrooms, onions and tomatoes.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, finely diced (any variety)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 carrot, peeled, halved lengthwise & sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 4 ounces Italian sausage or 4 ounces turkey sausage, casings removed & crumbled
- 10 ounces lean ground beef or 10 ounces lean ground turkey
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 2 teaspoons spaghetti sauce seasoning (Lawry's Original or Lawry's Extra Rich & Thick)
- 10 ounces spaghetti or 10 ounces penne or 10 ounces wagon-wheel pasta
- 1 cup frozen Italian cut green beans, thawed & drained
- 4 ounces mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium low heat for 1 minute.
- Add onions, garlic, and carrots, and saute, stirring frequently for 5 minutes (until carrots are tender and garlic and onion are just beginning to brown).
- Push vegetables to one side of pan and add meat.
- Raise heat to medium high and saute, stirring constantly, until browned on all sides (about 5 minutes); drain off excess fat.
- Add tomato puree and spaghetti seasoning, mix well, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Add beans and mushrooms to sauce, cover, and cook for another 5-7 minutes over low heat (until vegetables are tender).
- Serve pasta topped with sauce and Parmesan cheese.