Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Courtesy of cookiesfromitaly.com
- 1 1⁄4 cups pitted green olives in brine (plain or stuffed)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch-wide florets (8 cups)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 lb spaghetti or 3⁄4 lb linguine
- 1 ounce finely grated pecorino romano cheese (1/2 cup) or 1 ounce parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus additional for serving (1/2 cup)
- 3⁄4 cup whole almond, with skin toasted and coarsely chopped (3 and 3/4 oz)
- Pulse olives and parsley in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook cauliflower with salt, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and red-pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is tender and garlic is golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in water and boil 1 minute. Add olive mixture and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a 6 to 8 quart pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until 'al dente'. Reserve 1 cup pasta-cooking water. Drain in a colander and return to pot.
- Add cauliflower mixture and toss well, then add cheese and toss again. If pasta is dry, moisten with some reserved cooking water.
- Sprinkle pasta with almonds and serve immediately, with additional cheese on the side.