Recipe by Lori Mama
I saw Rachael make this on her daytime show. Had to try it, with adjustments. Very good and not a huge ingredient list.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
DH and I enjoyed this recipe last night for dinner. It was rich and delicious. I really enjoyed the complimentary flavors of sprouts, sage, butter and nutmeg. I used fresh sage from my garden and 3 cloves of garlic. We definitely needed the reserved pasta water, which when added, was perfect for the texture. Thanks for posting! Made for Every Day is a Holiday Tag, June 2013.
- 4 slices crusty baguette, sliced
- 12 -14 large Brussels sprouts
- 1 large starchy potato
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 12 leaves fresh sage, sliced
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Toast bread in hot oven to golden brown.
- Pulse the bread in food processor to make fresh, large breadcrumbs.
- Using the tip of a very sharp paring knife.
- remove the core of the Brussels sprouts and separate leaves.
- You should yield 3 cups loosely packed leaves.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Salt water.
- Peel the potato and cut into thirds horizontally,.
- then slice the thirds of potato across lengthwise,.
- into about 1/4-inch slices.
- Boil potatoes 5 minutes, add Brussels sprouts leaves after 2 minutes.
- Remove potatoes and cabbage from water with a spider.
- or strainer and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Cook pasta in boiling water to al dente in the same water.
- Reserve a little starchy cooking water just before draining.
- Meanwhile, heat butter, garlic and sage in small pot over low heat, do not brown.
- Add pasta to potatoes and cabbage in the serving bowl.
- Pour butter and sage over top and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add some cheese – a couple of handfuls.
- toss pasta to combine and taste to adjust seasonings.
- Use a splash of starchy cooking water if pasta gets too tight.
- while tossing.
- Serve spaghetti in shallow bowls topped with more cheese and the breadcrumbs.
- Serve hot.