Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes from Gourmet (January 2005). Make it even healthier with whole wheat spaghetti. Enjoy!
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus
- additional olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli (not thawed)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 lb spaghetti
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- lemon wedge (optional)
- Cook garlic and red pepper flakes in oil in a heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until garlic is golden, about 1 minute.
- Add broccoli and salt and cook, breaking up frozen chunks and stirring occasionally, until broccoli is thawed and crisp tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in chickpeas and cook until heated through.
- Cook pasta in a 6 to 8 quart pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water, then drain pasta in a colander.
- Add pasta and reserved cooking water to broccoli and chickpeas in skillet and cook over moderate heat, tossing, until combined well.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over top.
- Serve drizzled with additional olive oil and lemon wedges on the side.
We enjoyed this a lot...all except the 7 year old, but she gets in her moods. I served it one night with steak so we didn't add cheese...the leftovers the next night we added the cheese and agree it makes all the difference. My 10 year old also liked it balsamic vinegar drizzled over. Oh, and I used fresh broccoli steamed in the microwave. Thanks for posting.
This was really good for a quick week night dinner. I used less garlic (and shouldn't have!), fresh broccoli and I added a couple of diced roma tomatoes. I served this over linguini because that is what I had. The cheese is manditory! :)