Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I made this up Sat. night. I was craving pasta and had to make a sauce out of what was available, this was excellent and a nice change.
- 10 slices fried bacon
- 1 teaspoon bacon grease
- 1⁄2 green pepper, sliced thin lengthwise
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushroom
- 4 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup milk (skim okay)
- 1⁄2 package spaghetti or 1⁄2 package cappelini, cooked and buttered
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
- Heat bacon grease on low in frying pan, add peppers, onion, mushrooms, tomatoes herbs and spices.
- Cut bacon in small chunks and add to pan.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add milk slowly while stirring, heat, add grated cheddar and stir until melted.
- Serve on pasta.
This is similar to a pasta recipe I make with bacon,but not exactly the same,this is BETTER! I don't know if you can buy bacon grease,we certainly can't in the UK,but I'll tell you this,I was in my 20's before I had a bacon sandwich(bacon butty/sarnie)with butter on the bread,and I still prefer the way we used to have it as kids,that is with the bread dipped in the bacon fat,almost anything cooked in bacon fat,or as we call it "dripping",tastes fantastic!Thanks Tara, If you like fried bread on a breakfast try dipping the bread in bacon fat and grilling it like toast,and sprinkle it with water or milk first if you don't want it too greasy.
I loved this recipe, although I felt it needed a bit more spice for my family so I added some dried red pepper flakes to it and everyone loved it! Good work Tara... My daughters name is Tara also.
I absolutely LOVE this recipe! Even my ultra picky husband likes it. Great job!