Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is adapted from Giada, and one of our favorites. Quick and easy to make, yet elegant and colorful. Serve with a green salad and crusty French bread. Please note: this is an adopted recipe and I hope to make it soonest. If you make it before I do, I would appreciate feedback, Thanks ! ZWT REGION: Italy.
- 2 lbs asparagus, trimmed
- 3⁄4 lb spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut crosswise into strips
- 6 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese, diced (about 1 cup)
- 6 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1⁄2 chopped fresh tomato
- Cook the asparagus in a large pot of boiling salted water until crisp tender, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, remove asparagus from boiling water to a bowl of ice water to cool and stop the cooking. When cool, strain, cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces, and set aside.
- Return the water in the pot to a boil, adding additional water, if necessary.
- Add the pasta and cook until al dente, tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 20 seconds.
- Add asparagus to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the pasta, and if needed, some of the reserved cooking liquid. Toss to coat.
- Add the prosciutto, mozzarella, and basil, and toss to combine. Sprinkle with chopped chives and tomato.
- Turn off the heat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.
This was pretty good. The flavors blended well together. I have not had smoked mozzarella before and my taste buds were a little shocked. I will be making this again though and conditioning them.
This is beautiful and completely scrumptious! I made half the recipe but used half a pound of spaghetti rigate (which I find holds "bits" better than regular spaghetti) and that balance of topping to pasta was perfect for me. I will make this for company! Asparagus is my favorite vegetable and put together with the smokey cheese, salty prosciutto and fresh herbs and tomato, it is heaven. And amazingly light for a pasta dish. THANKS kiwidutch!