Recipe by BonnieZ
Something different than the typical spaghetti with red sauce. This dish bursts with flavor,and is simple to put together. I do omit the salt when I make this and have also used linguine which I actually like better. Delicious with a simple mixed green salad and good crusty bread. Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis.
- 2 lbs asparagus, trimmed
- 3⁄4 lb spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounces prosciutto, cut into crosswise strips
- 6 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese, cut in 1/4 inch dice (1 cup)
- 6 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the asparagus until tender crisp, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove asparagus with a slotted dpoon and plunge into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.
- When cool, strain the asparagus and cut into 1 inch pieces then set aside.
- Using the same pot, cook the spaghetti until al dente, about 8 minutes (10-12 if using linguine).
- Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water and set aside.
- Drain the pasta.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, then add the proscuitto strips.
- Saute until the prosciutto is slightly crisp and add the asparagus, then season with salt if using and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Add the pasta to the saute pan as well as 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water, and toss to coat.
- Add the smoked mozzarella and the fresh basil and continue to toss until combined, adding additional pasta water if necessary.
- Turn off the heat and continue to toss.
- The pasta will become creamy as the mozzarella starts to melt.