Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Spaghetti with a difference. Serve with your favourite glass of Aussie Red!
- 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 800 g canned tomatoes
- 1 (500 g) packet spaghetti
- 250 g bacon, rind removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups homemade breadcrumbs, made from day old bread
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated,to taste
- salt and pepper
- Heat 2 T of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and sugar and cook until onions just start to colour.
- Add tomatoes breaking them up with a fork.
- Season with salt and pepper, turn heat to low and leave to simmer for about 1 hour or until reduced to a thick sauce.
- Cook spaghetti in rapidly boiling water, drain.
- While the spaghetti is boiling grill (broil) the bacon until crisp, then crumble.
- Fry the breadcrumbs in the remaining oil until golden and then drain well.
- Toss the cooked spaghetti with the sauce in a large bowl, sprinkle with nutmeg and add the bacon, breadcrumbs and parmesan.
- Serve with your favourite glass of Aussie Red!
This was a really nice pasta dish! Very flavourful! I just didn't get the breadcrumbs... Because there didn't seem to be enough sauce for the amount of pasta called for, I didn't want to add the breadcrumbs & make it even drier. So, I just served on the side.
Thanks for a great dinner Jules. I added a red chilli and a teaspoon of Italian herbs to the sauce, I'd also add chopped flat-leaf parsley to the crumb mix next time. I used all the tomatoes, but half the bacon for two of us-the crumbs still soaked up all the sauce but it was good.
Very yummy, everyone enjoyed it. I cooked the bacon in the microwave and browned the breadcrumbs under the broiler. I think next time I may double the tomato sauce since we found it to be very dry with the breadcrumbs soaking everything up even tho my can of tomatoes was larger than called for and I added the sauce along with them. Great recipe tho, I'll be making this again. Thanks for posting it.