Recipe by Jewelies
Spaghetti with a difference. Serve with your favourite glass of Aussie Red!
Top Review by Debbb
This was a really nice pasta dish! Very flavourful! I just didn't get the breadcrumbs... Because there didn't seem to be enough sauce for the amount of pasta called for, I didn't want to add the breadcrumbs & make it even drier. So, I just served on the side.
- 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 800 g canned tomatoes
- 1 (500 g) packet spaghetti
- 250 g bacon, rind removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups homemade breadcrumbs, made from day old bread
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated,to taste
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 T of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and sugar and cook until onions just start to colour.
- Add tomatoes breaking them up with a fork.
- Season with salt and pepper, turn heat to low and leave to simmer for about 1 hour or until reduced to a thick sauce.
- Cook spaghetti in rapidly boiling water, drain.
- While the spaghetti is boiling grill (broil) the bacon until crisp, then crumble.
- Fry the breadcrumbs in the remaining oil until golden and then drain well.
- Toss the cooked spaghetti with the sauce in a large bowl, sprinkle with nutmeg and add the bacon, breadcrumbs and parmesan.
- Serve with your favourite glass of Aussie Red!