Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe makes a veggie rich, cheesy casserole, almost like a lasagna. Spaghetti Squash subsitutes for the role traditionally taken by pasta in such dishes for a delicious, lower calorie alternative.
- 1 spaghetti squash, cooked by your favorite method and separated into strands (See How to Cook Spaghetti Squash)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 -5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F Mix the cheese together, set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and add the onion, pepper and garlic.
- Sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, basil, and crushed red pepper (if using).
- Simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Mix squash well with the cooked vegetables and put half in the bottom of a large (13 x 9 inch) baking dish.
- Top with half the cheese mixture, followed by the other half of the squash mixture, then the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.
- Let cool 10-15 minutes before serving.
I made this today, first time I ever tried spaghetti squash. The squash has little flavor but adds a stringy texture. Not bad. The dish tastes strongly of tomato and bell pepper. It's good, extremely healthy, but I find the flavors too strong. I think next time I will skip the cheese, and serve it as a side dish to plain baked chicken or steak. The plain meat will help cut the strength of the flavor, and add more protein. The calories are all from the cheese, so deleting it removes nearly all the calories.
Tastes Delish!! Super easy as well. You can sautee any vegetable you want to add to this dish. Its a great alternative to using pasta.
Awesome meal! My family and I loved it. We are just starting to eat healthier and this was the perfect stepping stone. I would recomend this for a family meal or a dinner party . Fantastic recipe Johnney delicious and nutritious thank-you.