Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Low fat and microwave friendly! A low calorie alternative to real pasta.
- 2 lbs spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 cups thinly sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup shredded fresh basil leaf, plus additional sprigs for garnish
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta or 1⁄4 cup goat cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pine nuts
- Put squash halves cut side down in a 2-quart microwave-safe baking dish.
- Pour in 1/2 cup of water; cover the dish securely with plastic wrap.
- Using a sharp knife, cut four slits in plastic to serve as steams vents.
- Cook in microwave on the high setting for 12 minutes, rotating dish halfway through, until squash is soft when touched.
- Let stand, covered,3 to 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss together all remaining ingredients except pinenuts;set aside.
- While the squash is still warm, use a fork to scrape out the flesh; it will part into spaghetti like strands.
- Add to tomato mixture and toss gently to combine.
- Garnish with toasted pine nuts and slivered basil sprigs, if desired.
Made this for PAC Spring 2007 -- My grandmother and I both loved this! I doubled the feta, and I used the black peppercorn flavored type. I also didn't have any pine nuts on hand, so I left them out (probably a good thing, because Gram can't chew them anyhow). We'll definitely be making this again. Thanks for posting!
Wow, this is good! I too skipped the pine nuts (didn't have any) and I up'ed the Feta a bit. Great recipe, I'll make it often.
This was delicious! I boiled the squash (20 mins) and left out the nuts (I didn't have any). I have been meaning to try this recipe forever, and I'm glad I finally did! Thank you so much princess 7!