Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is such a simple dish to make. It is loaded with flavor! Best when using fresh garden vegetables and herbs.
- 1 cooked spaghetti squash, halved, seeds removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 green pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tomatoes, chopped (4 cups)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook squash til done using any method you prefer- bake, boil, steam, microwave.
- When squash is nearly done, saute onion, green pepper and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until tender. (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in tomatoes, salt and pepper, oregano and basil. Simmer together about 5 minutes more.
- When squash is done, shred with fork, keeping it inside the shell. Toss with butter. Spoon mixture ontop of shredded squash, top with parmesan.
Wow! I had some leftover spaghetti squash from a previous recipe (which was terrible). Thought I would give this a try instead of throwing out the rest of the squash. I'm so glad I tried it. It was superb! Light and full of flavor! I omitted the butter and cheese (didn't have any), and it was still great. Thanks for sharing!
This made a really delicious, light meal! It was great reheated the next day too.
I love spaghetti squash and thought this was good. My husband who is not a fan of spaghetti squash loved this recipe! So I gave it five stars. According to my husband, the "normally flavorless squash tasted really good". If you like the flavor of spaghetti squash without the "frills" this may not be for you. It's certainly worth a try though.