1/1 Photo of Spaghetti Squash With Meatballs and Cabernet Marinara Sauce
Emily Elizabeth's Note:
I came up with this recipe after finding out that I had to go gluten free. I don't miss the bread crumbs in the meatballs one bit! Substituting the spaghetti squash for regular pasta is also good for those who are counting calories or carbs. TIP: omit the egg if needed, the meatballs will still stay together (I found this out on accident)!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic cloves (about 1 clove, fresh is best)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (Classico Cabernet Marinara Sauce is best!)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Mix all of the meatball ingredients together in a large bowl. Form into 16 balls and place in a 8x8 inch glass baking pan. Bake 25-30 minutes flipping them over halfway through.
- 3Meanwhile, with a sharp knife carefully stab the spaghetti squash multiple times so the skin is pierced all around it. Put it on a plate and place it in the microwave for 12-16 minutes on 100% power. It is done when the skin is soft when pierced with a fork.
- 4When squash is done slice it crosswise and let cool (cutting it lengthwise will give you shorter spaghetti strands).
- 5Pour the desired amount of marinara sauce into a large non-stick skillet.
- 6About 5 minutes before meatballs are done begin heating sauce on medium to low heat. When the meatballs are done baking (they should be slightly browned on top and there should be a good amount of juice at the bottom of the pan), scoop them out with a slotted spoon or spatula and put them in the sauce. Cover and simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- 7While the sauce is simmering, scoop out the seeds of the spaghetti squash. Then scoop out the squash on to plates, or you can use the squash shell as your bowl and simply fluff up the squash with a fork.
- 8Let sauce cool for about 2 minutes before scooping meatballs and sauce over spaghetti squash.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spaghetti Squash With Meatballs and Cabernet Marinara Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 421.8
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 132.0 mg
- Sodium 1720.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 18.0 g
- Protein 31.2 g