Top Review by joe j.
This dish was very good , I also put my own twist to it one thing i did is i cooked the squash in the pressure cooker for 5 minuets with some seasonings, it raked out of the skin beautifully I used cheddar cheese and some baby spinach cooked it at 375 degrees in the oven came out awesome my wife couldn't believe it, very good recipe.
- 1 spaghetti squash (8-inch)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup cottage cheese or 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 dash thyme
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- butter (for saute)
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- Bake it face down on a buttered tray for 30 to 40 minutes or until easily pierced by a fork.
- Cool until ready to be handled.
- Scoop out the insides gently with a fork which will form into spaghetti strands.
- While the squash bakes, saute the onions and garlic with salt, pepper, mushrooms and herbs.
- When onions are soft, add freshly chopped tomatoes; cook until most of liquid is evaporated.
- Combine the ingredients.
- Pour into buttered 2 quart casserole. Top with lots of grated Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered about 40 minutes in a 375 degrees oven.