Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
- 1 spaghetti squash (8-inch)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup cottage cheese or 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 dash thyme
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- butter (for saute)
- parmesan cheese
- Slice squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- Bake it face down on a buttered tray for 30 to 40 minutes or until easily pierced by a fork.
- Cool until ready to be handled.
- Scoop out the insides gently with a fork which will form into spaghetti strands.
- While the squash bakes, saute the onions and garlic with salt, pepper, mushrooms and herbs.
- When onions are soft, add freshly chopped tomatoes; cook until most of liquid is evaporated.
- Combine the ingredients.
- Pour into buttered 2 quart casserole. Top with lots of grated Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered about 40 minutes in a 375 degrees oven.
This dish was very good , I also put my own twist to it one thing i did is i cooked the squash in the pressure cooker for 5 minuets with some seasonings, it raked out of the skin beautifully I used cheddar cheese and some baby spinach cooked it at 375 degrees in the oven came out awesome my wife couldn't believe it, very good recipe.
Extremely hearty and flavorful, and a good solution for low-carb diets when real pasta is not allowed. I agree with the others who noted the not-so-pretty appearance of the dish. My solution was to not mix everything up---keep the spaghetti squash in a separate dish, toss with a bit of butter, and serve the other vegetables in the sauce on top of the squash. Much more attractive!
Very good. Agree that this is not a pretty looking dish, but the taste is great. I used canned mushrooms, didn't have fresh, and added a few TBSP of homemade marinara as I only had a few fresh grape tomatoes. I also added a good heavy pinch of crushed red pepper to give the dish a bit of zip. I used cottage cheese as that is what I had, might try ricotta next time to make it look a bit prettier. Overall a keeper, I had it as a filling main dish for just me, would probably pair it with some grilled chicken or pork for my carnivore family. Thanks for posting!