Recipe by tinymonkey
I was looking for a veggie-based side that was not based on potatoes, rice or noodles. This is a mild, tasty side dish that would pair well with chicken or fish. I got it from my Taste of Home 2006 cookbook.
- 1 large spaghetti squash (3-4 pounds)
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, diced (about 5 strips)
- 1⁄2 cup white onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut squash in half length-wise; discard seeds.
- Place one squash half, cut-side-down, on a microwaveable plate.
- Cover and microwave on high 8 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork, turning once.
- Repeat with second squash half.
- When cool enough to handle, scoop out squash , separating strands with a fork; set aside.
- In a skillet, cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels and drain, reserving drippings.
- Add butter, brown sugar, salt and pepper to drippings.
- Stir in squash and bacon; heat through.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until just blended.
- Serve immediately.