Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Invented this today trying to figure out something for lunch. Ingredients can easily be substituted to make this vegetarian or vegan. Simply use vegetable broth and soy cheese equivalents. Much lower carb than traditional spaghetti. I do the spaghetti squash in the microwave, which is super easy. Cut in half, scrape the seeds, then cook until it breaks into strands easily with a fork. I guessed at the spice amounts, so adjust to your own taste. Prep time includes pressing and draining tofu.
- 1⁄2-1 spaghetti squash, cooked
- 1⁄2 lb firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried minced onion flakes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 12 kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cremini mushroom, rough chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese
- In 10 inch saute pan, combine stewed tomatoes, chicken broth, onion, parsley, pepper flakes, basil, garlic, thyme, ground pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to boil and reduce heat, simmering about 10 minutes. If your tomatoes are not chopped, break them apart with the back of a spoon.
- Add olives, capers, and mushrooms and continue to simmer until mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes. If needed, add more chicken broth. Add Parmesan and stir into sauce.
- Add cubed tofu and gently fold into sauce. Cover and let simmer until tofu is heated and has absorbed some flavor, about 5 minutes. Stir in cooked shredded spaghetti squash and top with Feta. Re-cover and let sit on low heat until heated through and cheese has softened.