Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my " altered" spaghetti pie recipe being allergic to wheat I often use spaghetti squash in place of noodles and as a diabetic I make other substitutions to lower fat and calories.
- 2 cups cooked spaghetti squash, removed from skin and separated into noodles
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- other spices (oregano, basil or your favorites)
- Spray 9" pie pan with non stick spray.
- Mix squash noodles with egg whites and parmesan cheese press into pan forming crust.
- Spread with yogurt.
- Cook ground beef in skillet with onions, green peppers, garlic and any of the spices and or herbs that you have chosen. When meat is brown, add tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Add meat mixture to noodle crust and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
I wasn't sure if DH would like this, but he loved it! I have it in the front of my cookbook to make again!
Yumm! Thanks for posting a great and easy way to use 1/2 a spaghetti squash. It was really delicious, even though I strayed from the original recipe: 1. I used a jar of quality pasta sauce instead of the peppers and tomatoes 2. instead of ground beef, this vegetarian used the great soy product "Gimme Lean"
A great tasting recipe, I'll try this one again because I didn't have the yogurt so I used just a little sour cream. Thanks for a great recipe!