Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
A lower calorie and health version of an old favorite. Also known as how I got my son to eat Spaghetti Squash. Some times I tried to sneak in baby Portabella mushrooms, but DS never would eat when I did. Prep time doesn't include the cooking of the spaghetti squash which can be done in the microwave and takes about 13 minutes.
- 3 lbs spaghetti squash, cooked and cooled enough to handle
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 15 ounces low-fat ricotta
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Pre heat oven to 350.
- Split cooked squash lengthwise and remove seeds. Use fork to pull off in long strands. Place in large mixing bowl and toss with flour, garlic, and salt until well combined.
- Blend ricotta, spinach and parmesan in food processor until smooth.
- To assemble spread 1/2 cup pasta sauce on the bottom of shallow 6 cup baking dish. Top with spaghetti squash, arranging evenly and compactly. Top spaghetti squash with ricotta mixture. Spread remaining pasta sauce over ricotta. Cover with sliced mozzarella.
- Place lasagna dish on baking sheet, bake uncovered for 40 to 50 minutes in a 350 oven or until cheese is lightly brown on edges and juices bubble.
This made a wonderful dinner last night and I've added it to my cookbook of vegetarian dishes to make again. The only changes I'll make are to put a layer of ricotta on top of the spaghetti squash, and then layer the spinach on top of that, rather than mixing them together. I'm also going to use grated mozzarella instead of the slices, as the slices didn't melt as much as I'd like. We really enjoyed this and thanks for sharing.
This really tastes wonderful, but my squash layer was a bit watery. Not sure if I overcooked the squash or not. I did drain and squeeze the spinach well. I will be trying it again, though, since the flavor was so good.
This was really tasty and seemed pretty healthy. I made a number of changes. I eliminated the sliced Mozzarella cheese as the recipe had plenty of cheese without it (ricotta and parmesan are enough for me). I added a layer of frozen peas to add more veggies. I eliminated the extra added salt as ricotta and parmesan cheeses are both filled with plenty of salt.