Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the South Beach Diet.
- 2 lbs spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced (romas are best)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 small lemon, sliced
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Place cut sides down in a glass baking dish.
- Add 1/4 cup water and cover with plastic wrap.
- Microwave on high for 8-10 minutes until tender; cool.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the zucchini and cook for 4-5 minutes until the zucchini begins to brown.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat; simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Using a fork, scrape the squash strands into a bowl.
- Toss with the remaining oil.
- For presentation you can do two things.
- Just toss the squash with the cooked vegetables and sprinkle with cheese or as recommended in the book: Mound the squash in the center of 4 pasta bowls.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture around the squash.
- Drizzle with more oil if desired, and garnish with parmesan cheese.
- Add the lemon slices.
Microwaving is definitely the way to go when cooking spaghetti squash. I also used fresh spinach rather than zucchini and canned Italian style tomatoes. Very good.
YUM! I also used a can of italian diced tomatoes, and I didn't have zucchini so I used a 10 oz package of frozen chopped spinach (thawed it before adding to the skillet). It was soooooo good, and incredibly easy. Wonderful quick busy-week dinner. Thank you!
I was checking Zaar for spaghetti squash recipes, and fortunately for me, I found yours! Absolutely delicious! I did use canned Italian stewed tomatoes instead of fresh roma's, but, the dish still turned out so good. Tis easy, tasty, and quick to the table. You've got a keeper in this one! Thanks, Laudee