Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 12 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Found this one in my "stash." Cook time includes time to prepare and cook the squash. This could be done in advance.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and place halves, flesh side down, in a baking dish with enough hot water to come 1/4-inch up the sides of the squash.
- (The water prevents burning and helps steam the squash so it cooks more evenly.) Cover with aluminum foil and bake until the squash is soft when poked with a knife, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Discard the seeds.
- Scrape along the pulp with a fork and pull out and reserve shreds. Rub the bottom of a.
- medium (8-cup or slightly larger) gratin or baking dish with butter.
- Toss the "spaghetti" with the chopped sage, garlic, 2 cups of the cheese, cream, salt and pepper.
- Spread mixture in gratin dish (the squash layer should be about 1 inch thick). Sprinkle the remaining cheese over "spaghetti." Arrange the 3 remaining sage leaves on top of the gratin. Bake for about 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle freshly ground black pepper over gratin and serve.
- Note: The squash can be baked a day ahead, following the above directions. If the top of the gratin doesn't turn golden brown, place it under the broiler for about 1 minute.