Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Makes a nice savoury dish that is great for a harvest dinner.
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place the squash, cut side down, on the sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until tender when pierced with a sharp knife.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- With a fork, scrape the squash strands into a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, warm the oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and basil.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the mixture is dry.
- To the bowl with the squash, add the cottage cheese, mozzarella, parsley, salt and the onion mixture.
- Stir well to mix all ingredients.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour mixture into prepared dish.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.
This was a really delicious and simple recipe. I am a novice with squash so wanted something easy to make for my first go round.
I had to microwave my squash for about 5 minutes beforehand to get it soft enough to cut lengthwise, but other than that, it was pretty simple!
I also forgot the basil and it was still delicious!
I really enjoyed this recipe. I usually just nuke spag squash and add butter/parm cheese/garlic salt. I pretty much followed the recipe as stated except for a couple of things. 1. I nuked the squash(used another posters idea of microwaving for 1-2 mins to soften skin 1st before splitting MUCH APPRECIATED IDEA)2. added sundried tomatoes 3. used an 8x8 pan. The only thing I would change is probably adding some broccoli/cauliflower/extra sundried tom's(only used 1 or 2) My DH didn't care for it (he doesn't really like casseroles)but my 2 year old DS liked it
Just way too bland for our tastes Next time, more tomato, more onion, more garlic!