Recipe by SusieQusie
I love spaghetti squash and am always looking for new ways to use it. This recipe uses low-fat ingredients but could easily be converted to full-fat if you wish. Other spices or herbs can be added to dress it up; this is just the basic recipe.
Top Review by schufrei
This was fantastic! Reminded me of egg foo yung --and in fact, it was really good drizzled with soy sauce. But I mostly ate it for breakfast. I used sundried tomatoes instead of pimiento and I added three strips of chopped, cooked bacon (sorry, vegetarians) and a sprinkle of nutmeg, which is always good in custard dishes. My only problem was t took forever to solidify in my oven -- I eventually turned the temp up to 400 and it still took over an hour. But it was well worth the wait. Didn't use the panko because it started out so liquidy I was afraid the crumbs would just sink. But it came out with a nice lightly browned top and a rich, creamy/crunchy texture. A keeper!
- 3 cups cooked spaghetti squash (1 large)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup water chestnut
- 1 tablespoon diced pimento (or sub diced roasted red peppers or sundried tomatoes)
- 1⁄2 cup grated low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute (or 2 eggs, well beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs, crumbs or 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350º.Coat an 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out and discard seeds, place cut-side down on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes. ( Or place cut side down on a microwave safe dish, poke holes in peel & nuke until tender ).
- When squash is tender, scoop out the meat with a fork. (you may only need 1 half to get 3 cups, depending on the size of your squash).
- Mix together the squash strands, bell pepper, onion, water chestnuts, pimiento, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the egg substitute.
- Combine the sour cream and milk & fold into squash mixture.
- Pour into prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with panko crumbs and paprika and bake for 30-35 minutes.