Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is for low carbers who have a craving for spaghetti! With the meat, seasonings, and cheese, it is a sure winner! This is perfect for low carbers who miss those all inclusive casseroles as well! The recipe originally came from Taste of Home, but I have adjusted a few ingredients to suit the South Beach Diet way of eating. You don't have to be on a specific diet to eat it though. Yummy!
- 2 lbs spaghetti squash
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped (may use red)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup light mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (optional)
- Cut squash in half and remove all seeds and fibers.
- Place squash cut side down in a microwave safe dish and microwave for 10-15 minutes or until tender and strands easily separate with a fork. Set aside.
- Meanwhile,in a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown ground turkey.
- Add onion, pepper and garlic and saute until tender.
- Add cherry tomatoes and seasonings; heat through.
- Add spaghetti squash, and transfer to a 2 quart baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and basil, if desired.
- Bake 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.