Cook1 hr 20 mins
It's wonderful when something so healthy tastes so good! Serve a salad and some garlic bread with this and you have a great meal! From Dr. Andrew Weil.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 large carrot, sliced on the diagonal
- 2 stalks celery, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 28 ounces tomatoes, diced (if using fresh, peel and seed)
- red pepper flakes (or one small hot red pepper, minced)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (I use a tablespoon of fresh when I have it)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped (or more)
- 3⁄4 lb part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Place the spaghetti squash in a large pot of water (it should float) and bring to a boil; lower heat, cover and boil gently for 50 minutes.
- Another option is to bake the squash first-- cut it lengthwise and place the halves skin-side down in a baking dish with an inch of water; cover the dish with foil and bake at 350º F for about 45 minutes, or until meat is tender.
- While squash is cooking, peel and slice the carrots, celery, onion and bell pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and add the onion and carrot, with some water to prevent sticking. Sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add remaining vegetables with some red pepper flakes and a dash of salt, if desired. Sauté, stirring frequently, till vegetables are barely tender, about 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven (if you are cooking squash on top of the stove)to 350 degrees F.
- Add crushed tomatoes, basil and oregano to taste, and a sprinkle of ground allspice. Squeeze in 2-5 cloves of garlic. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, grate the mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Remove squash from pot or oven and allow to cool until you can handle it. If it is whole, cut it in half lengthwise, then remove seeds with a spoon and squeeze any excess water out of meat.
- Remove meat and break it up into strands with a fork or potato masher. Mix squash well with vegetables and put half in the bottom of a large baking dish. Top with half the cheeses, the rest of the squash, and then the rest of the cheeses.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned. Let cool 15-20 minutes before serving.
I truly liked this recipe, thank you. As with any recipe there are tweaks to be made to make it your own, I added mushrooms a little more garlic, doubled the red pepper flakes, and replaced the olive oil with 1 slice of heavy smoked bacon. I stored this in my Recipe Box, it is a keeper!
This is an awesome recipe! It's something that both my husband and I enjoyed, which doesn't happen often, as we have such different tastes. I try to make a batch of marina sauce every week, and used that with the squash. Used a blend of smoked Gouda, smoked Cheddar and Parmesan. I made it two nights ago.. and am making a double batch right now to have for quick lunches this week! Thank you for sharing the recipe!
Cooked squash in microwave (sliced in half, removed seeds, 1/4 c water in bottom of bowl, covered, zapped for 10-12 min). Used preshredded cheeses and a can of rotel tomaotes. This casserole makes a great vegetarian main dish and didn't take long with the shortcuts.