Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A friend from TX sent this to me. We were discussing spaghetti squash and spaghetti pie when she thought of this recipe she had.
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped cooked spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
ORANGE-CREAM CHEESE GLAZE
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Coat a round cake pan with cooking spray; line bottom of pan with wax paper.
- Coat wax paper with cooking spray; set pan aside.
- Beat sugars, butter, ginger, & cinnamon until well-blended.
- Stir in milk, vanilla, & egg; beat until well-blended.
- Combine flour, baking powder, & salt in bowl; stir with whisk.
- Stir in sugar mixture & squash.
- Spoon into cake pan, spread evenly.
- Bake 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan; carefully peel off wax paper.
- Spoon Orange-Cream Cheese Glaze over top.
- Sprinkle with pecans.
- Beat cream cheese & orange rind until well-blended.
- Add sugar & milk; beat until well blended.
very moist and tasty. I made this gluten free (with rice flour, coconut flour and a little potato starch) instead of the wheat flour. Try doubling the baking powder for GF version, as it didn't rise much. <br/><br/>I recommend <br/>1) reducing sugar significantly; it's way too sweet. try with half the sugar in the cake (so use only 1/3 cup) or try substituting with honey (or honey and stevia combo, perhaps). <br/>2) Add more spices (maybe a half tsp. each).<br/>3) For Glaze: definitely reduce sugar. want more of a cream cheese taste than just sweetness; I also added a squeeze of lemon juice b/c it was soooo sweet.<br/><br/>good, so will try it again sometime with the alterations.
Good cake. I used a mini loaf silicone mold. Made three small loafs, will do2 next time or double the recipe. Used xlitol for the white sugar and cake flour. Crushed pecans and flaxseeds are great in it. Don't need to frost this one.
I had some squash to use & needed to make a cake for a gathering. I don't make alot of cakes but I was pleased when this one was gushed about by several at the party. One person even thought I bought the cake. I was alittle surprized how dense the cake turned out. I doubled the recipe (cooked in 2 pans) & layered each on top to make one cake. I added abit more cream cheese into the icing & several enjoyed the orange flavour. Thanks for sharing Nana.