Recipe by Nana Lee
A friend from TX sent this to me. We were discussing spaghetti squash and spaghetti pie when she thought of this recipe she had.
Top Review by Jami K.
very moist and tasty. I made this gluten free (with rice flour, coconut flour and a little potato starch) instead of the wheat flour. Try doubling the baking powder for GF version, as it didn't rise much. <br/><br/>I recommend <br/>1) reducing sugar significantly; it's way too sweet. try with half the sugar in the cake (so use only 1/3 cup) or try substituting with honey (or honey and stevia combo, perhaps). <br/>2) Add more spices (maybe a half tsp. each).<br/>3) For Glaze: definitely reduce sugar. want more of a cream cheese taste than just sweetness; I also added a squeeze of lemon juice b/c it was soooo sweet.<br/><br/>good, so will try it again sometime with the alterations.
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped cooked spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
ORANGE-CREAM CHEESE GLAZE
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons low-fat milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Coat a round cake pan with cooking spray; line bottom of pan with wax paper.
- Coat wax paper with cooking spray; set pan aside.
- Beat sugars, butter, ginger, & cinnamon until well-blended.
- Stir in milk, vanilla, & egg; beat until well-blended.
- Combine flour, baking powder, & salt in bowl; stir with whisk.
- Stir in sugar mixture & squash.
- Spoon into cake pan, spread evenly.
- Bake 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan; carefully peel off wax paper.
- Spoon Orange-Cream Cheese Glaze over top.
- Sprinkle with pecans.
- Beat cream cheese & orange rind until well-blended.
- Add sugar & milk; beat until well blended.