Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Several fresh tasty ingredients to go together in this recipe to make a spectacular summer supper. Spaghetti squash has an interesting texture that's lots of fun. Try it—you'll love it! Source: TOH
- 1 (2 -2 1/2 lb) spaghetti squash
- 1⁄4 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in a baking dish. Fill pan with hot water to a depth of 1/2 inches Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- When cool enough to handle, scoop out squash, separating strands with a fork; set shells and squash aside.
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add squash; mix well.
- Cook, uncovered, until liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Fill shells; place in shallow baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
This was GREAT! DH and I loved it, daughter picked at it but ate some (she's extremely picky!) We used 1 pound of ground beef and 3 cloves garlic plus added a carrot and 1/2 cup fresh spinach leaves. I omitted the salt and used a full cup of low fat mozzarella cheese. The only thing I'll do differently next time is mix the cup of cheese into the rest of the mixture then top with 1/3 cup cheese for final 5 minutes. Delicious, easy, and pretty good for you too! THANKS Ceezie for the recipe!