Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Rachael's EveryDay Menu Planner.
- 1 large spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded (about 4 lbs)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb uncooked chicken sausage or 1 lb turkey sausage, casings removed
- 3⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (more to taste, for me that'd be a LOT more)
- 8 basil leaves, torn
- Place the squash, cut side up, on a damp paper towel in a microwavable dish. Microwave on high until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Using a fork, scrape the strands of squash into a microwavable bowl and toss with the butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, combine the sausage with the bread crumbs and form into 1-inch meatballs.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the meatballs and cook, stirring, until browned, about 6 minutes.
- Cover and cook over low heat until cooked through, about 3 minutes more.
- Reheat the shredded squash in the microwave and top with the meatballs, cheese and basil.
This was good! I used asiago cheese chicken sausages and therefore did not use the parmesan cheese.I used dried basil and no butter, just olive oil.After the meatballs were cooked, I removed, and tossed the spaghetti squash in the same pan. I passed hot tomato sauce that had a little splenda in it if anyone wanted the sauce.
I recently made this for dinner, I love RR's recipes! This was very very good, though I added a bit of milk to the meatball mixture in order to moisten them up a bit.