Recipe by JillAZ
Posted in response to a request. Recipe is from the Ball Blue Book. Prep time is an estimate as I have not made this. Makes 6 pints or 3 quarts.
Top Review by Gretchen G.
Great recipe, to make it mine I added olives and mushrooms. I also use ground beef and ground turkey (50/50). Next time I would cut the meat back to 4 lbs. there was no need to thicken, didn't need it. The recipe with my additions resulted in 10 pints. Thanks for posting!
- 5 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 9 cups cooked tomatoes or 9 cups canned tomatoes with juice
- 2 2⁄3 cups tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef in a large stockpot.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Add onion and green peppers and cook slowly until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients; simmer until thick.
- If any fat remains, skim off top.
- Pour hot sauce into hot pint or quart jars, leaving 1 inch headspace.
- Adjust lids and bands.
- Process in a pressure canner.
- Pints for 1 hour, quarts for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.