Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Posted in response to a request. Recipe is from the Ball Blue Book. Prep time is an estimate as I have not made this. Makes 6 pints or 3 quarts.
- 5 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 9 cups cooked tomatoes or 9 cups canned tomatoes with juice
- 2 2⁄3 cups tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Brown beef in a large stockpot.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Add onion and green peppers and cook slowly until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients; simmer until thick.
- If any fat remains, skim off top.
- Pour hot sauce into hot pint or quart jars, leaving 1 inch headspace.
- Adjust lids and bands.
- Process in a pressure canner.
- Pints for 1 hour, quarts for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.
Great recipe, to make it mine I added olives and mushrooms. I also use ground beef and ground turkey (50/50). Next time I would cut the meat back to 4 lbs. there was no need to thicken, didn't need it. The recipe with my additions resulted in 10 pints. Thanks for posting!
thick and tasty! and the fact that it is shelf-stable makes it even more appealing. i did change the seasonings slightly, adding garlic and thyme, and substituted 1 cup chopped carrot for the green pepper. certainly a recipe worth making to freeze, or to feed a crowd right away!
I made this meat sauce last year, and am going to make it again as it was a hit!!