Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Is it Italian? Is it Spanish? Is it original? I'm not sure, but it tasted great!!
Make and share this Spaghetti sauce with meat and chorizo recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 chorizo sausage, peeled,quartered,sliced finely (about 100g)
- 450 g ground beef (I used lamb)
- 1⁄4 cup white wine (I used vermouth)
- 1 (250 g) jar tomato paste
- 2 (440 g) canschopped peeled tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 pinch mixed spice (pumpkin spice is similar)
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, or until it softens.
- Add the garlic and saute for a further 5 minutes-don't allow to burn.
- Add the sliced chorizo, and cook for a couple of minutes, until the fat starts to run.
- Now add the meat and brown really well.
- I've learned to do this (thanks Evelyn/Athens) over about 15 minutes to get a really good flavour, so be patient.
- At this stage, I drain all the fat and oil off that I can.
- Pour in the wine, and cook for a couple of minutes, then add the tomato paste, and cook a couple of minutes more.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, water, herbs, mixed spice and celery salt and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, and cook gently for about 2 hours uncovered, stirring occasionally and making sure not too much water has evaporated or that the dish is sticking.
- Stir through the parsley before serving over pasta of your choice.
I took the skin off the chorizo so it was more like burger meat. The sauce was nicely flavored from the sausage and spices. You can be assured this one is headed to our favorites to make again!
DELICIOUS! We are tomato lovers and we liked the tomatoes and the tomato paste in this recipe. The onion added much flavor and, of course, the white wine. A great spagetti sauce recipe! Prepared as a participant in the Aus/NZ Swap #36 January 2009.
I liked it, i think i got the wrong Chorizo though.. mine looked like Ground beef when cooked... But, this was still very good! I didn't use the wine, i used water, and i didnt use Mixed spice since i had none. Thank You For the recipe