Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is a crowd pleaser. Makes enough for a big crowd or freeze some. For a meatier sauce add another pound of hamburger. For a thicker sauce put 28 oz less tomatoes in. Mushrooms can also be added.
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 6 cloves garlic, minced or 6 cloves garlic powder
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 4 (28 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes or 8 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- In 5 qt dutch oven cook ground beef with onion until browned.
- Drain excess fat.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes.
- Serve over spaghetti.
This was a wonderful meat sauce. I did not tweak it that much. After halving the recipe, I added a 2 tablespoons of vinegar, and added a bit of flour and water. It was thick, meaty, delicious, devoured. The kids liked it, but more importantly, the wife did too! I'll be making this again.
This was very good sauce. However, I was looking for something a bit thicker with more of a stronger flavor. I added 2 lbs of ground beef too but the sauce itself was just a tad thin for my liking but the flavor was very good. If I do make this again I will make some adjustments. Very good sauce though. Thank you so much for the recipe.
This recipe makes a novice look like they know what they're doing. It tastes great and of course the kitchen smells great too. Thanks Jack's wife