1 hr 10 mins
Love to Eat!!'s Note:
Inspired by my Dad's somewhat tamer spaghetti sauce, this is my spiced up twist on an old classic. It is easy to make, SMELLS great and makes enough for dinner plus 2 frozen dinners for two (for those nights you just don't have time to cook from scratch). This sauce comes out THICK and CHUNKY, so adjust if you like a thinner sauce. I also make this a day in advance of when I want to eat it as I like the flavor after it has been refrigerated over night and then reheated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1 1/2-2 lb) package hot Italian sausage, fresh (5-6 links)
- 1 (24 -28 ounce) jar of your favorite pre-made spaghetti sauce, no meat
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, crushed fire roasted (in organic isle, I like Muir Glen brand)
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 5 -6 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- salt, taste
- pepper, taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 500 degrees, line baking sheet or glass casserole with foil for easy clean up.
- 2Chop onion, pepper and garlic while oven is preheating.
- 3Put whole sausages on foil lined pan/casserole, bake 20- 30 minutes or until golden brown and expelling some juices, remove and let cool slightly.
- 4While sausage is cooking, in a pan large enough for all ingredients, over medium heat, saute onions and peppers in olive oil 5-7 minutes until onions are almost translucent, add garlic and saute for 2 more minutes (DO NOT allow garlic to get brown or it will be bitter), reduce heat to simmer.
- 5To pan of onions/peppers/garlic add jar of pre-made sauce (fill empty jar with a splash of water or beer :) , close lid, shake to rinse, open and add to sauce), fire roasted tomatoes, bay leaves, italian seasoning, sugar, and smoked paprika.
- 6Slice sausage into bite sized pieces on a steep angle, add to sauce. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to your taste during the last 30 minutes.
- 7Serve over your favorite pasta with some grated cheese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spaghetti Sauce With Hot Italian Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 568.7
- Calories from Fat 348
- Total Fat 38.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 64.6 mg
- Sodium 1955.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 16.9 g
- Protein 25.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning