Recipe by Luke Meakins
This is a hearty (meaty) yet tangy spaghetti sauce that I have tweaked to almost perfection. A must try for any Italian food lovers out there.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium white onion, chopped (l cup)
- 1 green pepper, chopped (optional, I usually omit)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- cooked spaghetti (or pasta of your choice)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet cook the meat, onion, green pepper and garlic until meat is brown and vegetables are tender.
- Drain off fat.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, oregano, salt, basil, thyme and bay leaf.
- Stir in water.
- Pour into large pot (one that is wider than it is tall). Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for l½ to 2 hours or till sauce is of desired consistency, stirring occasionally, the thicker the better.
- Add lemon juice during last 5 minutes of simmering.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve over hot cooked pasta.
- Pass grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Makes 6 servings.