2 hrs 25 mins
2 hrs 5 mins
Luke Meakins's Note:
This is a hearty (meaty) yet tangy spaghetti sauce that I have tweaked to almost perfection. A must try for any Italian food lovers out there.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium white onion, chopped (l cup)
- 1 green pepper, chopped (optional, I usually omit)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- cooked spaghetti (or pasta of your choice)
- 1In a large skillet cook the meat, onion, green pepper and garlic until meat is brown and vegetables are tender.
- 2Drain off fat.
- 3Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, oregano, salt, basil, thyme and bay leaf.
- 4Stir in water.
- 5Pour into large pot (one that is wider than it is tall). Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- 6Simmer, uncovered, for l½ to 2 hours or till sauce is of desired consistency, stirring occasionally, the thicker the better.
- 7Add lemon juice during last 5 minutes of simmering.
- 8Remove bay leaf.
- 9Serve over hot cooked pasta.
- 10Pass grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- 11Makes 6 servings.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spaghetti Sauce to Die For
Serving Size: 1 (530 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 427.8
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 102.8 mg
- Sodium 1208.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 31.5 g