Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 5 mins
This is a hearty (meaty) yet tangy spaghetti sauce that I have tweaked to almost perfection. A must try for any Italian food lovers out there.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium white onion, chopped (l cup)
- 1 green pepper, chopped (optional, I usually omit)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- cooked spaghetti (or pasta of your choice)
- In a large skillet cook the meat, onion, green pepper and garlic until meat is brown and vegetables are tender.
- Drain off fat.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, oregano, salt, basil, thyme and bay leaf.
- Stir in water.
- Pour into large pot (one that is wider than it is tall). Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for l½ to 2 hours or till sauce is of desired consistency, stirring occasionally, the thicker the better.
- Add lemon juice during last 5 minutes of simmering.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve over hot cooked pasta.
- Pass grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Makes 6 servings.
Very Good. I used fresh tomatoes though since I have so many. And fresh basil. Other than that, I followed this recipe.
My 11 year old made this as a math project. He used all ingredients and exact measurements. It is wonderful. Easy to make. Worth the extra time.
My family loved this sauce. Instead of 2 Cups of water I added 1 cup white wine and 1 cup of water and it was very good. This is one that I will keep and I am making it again and will double the recipe and freeze some.....Thanks for sharing this! :)